The Office of the General Faculty holds faculty governance records dating back to 1928. These governance documents include but are not limited to legislation, resolutions, meeting minutes, State of the University Presidential addresses, memorial resolutions, and task force/standing committee reports.
The physical volumes of these records can be found in WMB 2.102A.
Governance documents from 1999-present are available in hard copy but have also been digitized. The digital archive of the Office of the General Faculty is publicly accessible on UT Box.
Using the digital archive
- Annual Volumes of the Documents of the General Faculty (Volumes I-XXI)
- The Annual Documents of the General Faculty for each academic year beginning in 1999-2000 are digitally available.
- There is a searchable .pdf file of all of the documents for each academic year.
- Additionally, each year has its own folder, and the documents within are divided according to type (e.g. “Agendas,” “Catalog Changes,” “Minutes,” etc.).
- Memorial Resolutions
- Over 1,000 Memorial Resolutions honoring departed faculty members can be found in the “Memorial Resolutions Archive” folder.
- The files are labeled by surname and cataloged alphabetically. For example, a Memorial Resolution for Prof. Eva Rodriguez would be labeled “rodriguez_e.pdf” and located in the “Q-R” folder in the “Memorial Resolutions Archive” folder.
- Content Older than 1999
- If you’re searching for something specific, you can review the scanned indices of faculty governance document volumes back to 1928. You can then use page number and volume titles to find the desired content in the WMB 2.102 physical archive.
- The indices come from four separate annual volume serials:
- Documents and Minutes of the General Faculty (1928-1999)
- Documents and Proceedings of the Faculty Council (1945-1969, 1995-1999)
- Documents and Proceedings of the University Council (1969-1995, continues serial numbering from the Documents and Proceedings of the Faculty Council)
- Documents and Proceedings of the Faculty Senate (1969-1995)
- Why are there four separate annual volume series?
- The General Faculty began compiling their documents into annual volumes in 1928, and their annual volume series would run continuously until 1999. The Faculty Council was formed in 1945 and established its own annual volume, resulting in two separate series of faculty governance documents. In 1969, the Faculty Council split into two entities: University Council and the Faculty Senate, which each had their own annual volumes, resulting in three separate series of faculty governance documents. The University Council continued the numbering of the Faculty Council volumes. In 1995, the University Council and the Faculty Senate merged into a single body, the Faculty Council, resulting in two series of faculty governance docuements. In 1999, the Documents and Minutes of the General Faculty and the Documents and Proceedings of the Faculty Council merged into one annual volume series, the Documents of the General Faculty.